Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Technical Difficulties

It used to be that people were not very open with their family life. Today we live in a world where almost everyone uses the internet and everything that goes on in our lives is documented through little blurbs on facebook and/or twitter or ramblings of parental philosophies and stories on blogs (ahem).  On one end of the spectrum, I have heard it said it is best to get rid of it all and allow the home to be private once more.  The other end of the spectrum says this is the very outlet that people need.  It brings community and help from afar.  It brings a sense of belonging and a "I'm not alone in this" kind of feeling.  I can relate to that as a mother.
Can I choose the middle ground without sounding too much like a politician?  I appreciate these media outlets and obviously use them.  But I would be lying to say I have not shooed away a kid or two in pursuit of finishing a thought, or half-parented sibling rivalry that could have used my full attention, or wrote something on facebook that I later regretted.  I have made up all kinds of rules for myself that I repeatedly break: Don't get on the computer until the kids are in bed, only be on the computer for such and such a time, etc., etc.. I continue to fall short of these goals.  So what is the solution?  Do I cut off my ties and call it quits?
I don't believe so.  As I have said, these things can serve a greater purpose.  And like anything, alcohol, books, games, cell phones, the problem is not the thing in itself, it's the sinner using it.  It's another one of those things that has to be checked daily.  It's another one of those things I will fail at miserably.  But don't throw the diaper out with the baby still attached (Yes? .. No?  Trying my hand at making a modern idiom, cause seriously, we don't throw bath water out the window anymore).
 I think that rules (or goals) for oneself is great.  And rules do not equal legalism. Extra-biblical rules imposed on other people is legalism (Isn't this one of the most misunderstood concepts for people these days?)  Also, breaking a rule is not a sin. (No need for false guilt.  I got enough of the real stuff.)  Just the same, rules should also never be a form of self-righteousness.  However, saying, "I'm a better parent when I'm not on the computer and so I will try to do that when they are sleeping or away," is not a bad goal for me.  Or should I say: Yes, with the help of God.
But I refuse to give up singing at the top of my lungs in the car no matter how much my children cry or beg me to stop.  They may not interrupt that... No matter what.  Everybody has a line, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment