Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Short Story... New Acorns

-Inspired by a true story-
... at least a very, very small piece of the story. ;)

Thomas Squirrel ran across the lawn of the vicarage house and up the tree to his nest.  He was so excited he could hardly contain himself.  Betsy Squirrel was in the middle of nursing her four newborn babies.  "Betsy, Betsy, you won't believe what I have just found.  A true treasure of treasures!"

Betsy was less than excited, "Another acorn?" She stated with sarcasm.

Thomas ignored her mockery and continued on with passion, "It was something like I have never seen or tasted before and-"  Thomas was so caught up in his excitement that he lost his footing and started to fall.  He tried to glide with his tail but fell down to the ground.  His fall was softened by the familiar feeling of fur.

"What in tarnation!"  Elder Squirrel exclaimed.  Thomas had landed right on top of him.  Elder Squirrel was a grouchy old squirrel of six years.  He felt it necessary to teach Thomas Squirrel a lesson at every encounter.  "Thomas, you clumsy little vermin!"

Thomas still gleaming with excitement and unscathed by Elder Squirrel's not so nice words continued on speaking now to his wife Betsy, who had ran down the tree to check on him, and Elder Squirrel.  "There I was minding my own business when Chief Big Lady walked out of the house.  I scurried up the tree and out of sight.  She had a bag in her hand and began to drop little egg-shaped things onto the ground.  At first I passed it off as yet another weird thing the tribe of people do.  I'm sure I don't have to remind you of how Little Girl Two-Foot Tall enjoys dropping her food in the dirt and picking it up and eating it over and over again.  Or how Little Boy Three-Foot Tall likes to dig in the dirt for hours without ever storing food in the holes he makes."

"They are a funny tribe to watch," Betsy Squirrel giggled and agreed.

"Well, she walked back inside and I went to the ground to see what kind of objects she had placed in our territory.  My senses caught a whiff of the most delightful smell.  I picked up the funny egg-shaped object.  It was shiny and hard but I knew there was something wonderful inside."

"I tell you," Elder Squirrel interrupted, "This can only lead to trouble.  You young folk think you know more than our squirrel ancestors.  We eat acorns!  We are squirrels not rats!  Where is your pride?"  Elder Squirrel beat his tail on the ground and Thomas Squirrel backed away a little bit.  But Elder Squirrel's curiosity got the best of him and he cleared his throat, "Ahem..., well, what did you find then?"

Thomas continued on trying not to seem too excited but doing so unsuccessfully.  "Well, I used my teeth to open up the top as with any acorn.  Inside was a shiny item that made a noise almost like that of a leaf crumbling when stepped on after the fall season.  I got through the exterior only to find a soft, dark and creamy square of a thing.  My curiosity and senses were almost too much for me to bear so I began to nibble quickly through this delicacy and it got better and better with each bite!"  Betsy Squirrel's eyes grew large.  Feeding four babies can make a mama squirrel become extrordinarily hungry!  Thomas continued, "But that's not the best part!  You see, in the middle was a very small nut!  A new acorn made with a delicious outside!  Oh Betsy and Elder Squirrel, you really must try it!"

"Yes, I think I will!"  Betsy squirrel exclaimed.

"I dare say,"  Elder Squirrel said trying not to show his excitement, "I think I shall try this new acorn as well."

Thomas was so caught up in his story he didn't realize how he was making his fellow squirrels salivate with anticipation.  "Oh," he said sheepishly, "well, about that.  You see the Little Three-Foot Talls and Two-Foot Tall came out shortly after that and collected all of the egg-shaped acorns.  They are gone."

Betsy and Elder squirrel were full of disappointment but Elder Squirrel broke the sad silence to save face, "It's probably for the best.  That new acorn will probably make you crazy or sick.  Yes indeed, I'm glad I did not find it."

 Thomas ran off and began to dig.  "Thomas, what are you doing?"  Betsy asked.  She turned to Elder Squirrel and said with worry in her voice, "Perhaps the new acorn really did make him crazy."  Elder Squirrel nodded in agreement.  Just then Thomas pulled something odd from the ground and ran over to them with a quirky smile on his face.  It was the new acorn!  "Surely, you didn't think I would forget to save you some!"  Thomas said.

Elder Squirrel stood uncomfortably near by wishing he could take back his words so he could try the new acorn which smelled so good.  Betsy, perceiving his thoughts, tore off a piece of her own and shared with Elder Squirrel.  They all happily ate together and talked of the people tribe and all of their peculiar behaviors.


1 comment:

  1. Those squirrels are going to have some terrible tummy aches later!

    ReplyDelete