Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

GF Does Not Stand for Girlfriends or Ghetto Fabulous

Say the word "wedding" and you will pay double for the item.  Say the word "gluten free" and you will probably pay triple.  When I first got diagnosed with Celiacs one month ago, a disease where your body can't process wheat, I was shocked at the result and was certain a mistake had been made.  I have spent the last month detoxing from wheat with symptoms being even worse than when I was eating wheat!  In addition to the detox, I have also had a month of mourning.  I even shed a few tears at Pizza Hut a few weeks ago.  I was hit with the realization that I could never eat real pizza again.  
A few years back I tried to go on a low carb diet to get rid of my baby fat (you know, leftover from my infancy).  I lasted two weeks and I felt like I was starving to death.  I vowed never to torture my body again.  I had friends who were GF (If you haven't already figured it out, means gluten free) and I thought of them like saints.  Such a sacrifice they were making, now excuse me while I eat my cheeseburger with battered onion rings and wheat seasoning sprinkled on my meat.  I knew this would never happen to me because God would not give me more than I could handle.  Silly ol' me. 
I have learned a lot in one month with the help of fellow GF friends and some trial and error... "I'm probably not that allergic to wheat so I can eat this flour tortilla...hey, why is my throat swelling up.  Hmmm, must be the change in weather."  And it is not all bad, really.  I've lost five pounds and I have a new love for Trader Joes, who labels their GF products with a yellow 'g' so you don't have to read the label on everything!  Today I went to a store that was entirely GF, one of the advantages of living near a big city.  It was fun to look around and buy a few things.  But just a few things, unless I can find a way to sell a kidney.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I went GF for a whole two weeks to see if it helped Daphne's rash. So HARD!!! But since we are an Asian family and all, I decided to embrace the Asian way and go mostly rice. Rice bread, rice tortillas, rice flour, rice milk, RICE RICE RUCK!!! Praying for you my friend. My two weeks was short lived. I'm now dairy free instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying again! Buy 2 bags of white rice flour, 1 each of tapioca flour, potato starch flour (which might be the Swan's box!) and 1 bag of Xanthan gum (which will last your forever) and make your GF mix. It's a lot cheaper and you can have it for all kinds of good things!

    ReplyDelete